This page links some of my recommended resources.
These are all things I have personally used or deployed at companies and decided “hey, that’s pretty cool, I should tell others about that”.
If you have your own resources that you think other readers might like, send me a message and I’ll take a look.
These are mostly for personal use.
- OmniFocus for task management and personal project management.
- Bear for handling journals, personal processes, documents, records etc. I used to recommend Evernote but they are having trouble with their billing system so I can’t renew my subscription 🤷♂️.
- Mailplane acts as a wrapper around any Gmail/GSuite account and gives you keyboard shortcuts, multi-account access, drag/drop functions and more.
- Affinity apps make a decent and reasonably-priced alternative to Adobe Creative Suite. I switched as I was tired of paying the rather-pricey monthly subscription for apps that I only use periodically.
- Screenflow for recording screen tutorials. Also has a very powerful built-in timeline editor.
- SetApp is a monthly subscription of applications that is invaluable for anyone who uses a Mac. I’ll have an article on this at some point, but some of my favourites right now include Path Finder, BusyCal, Ulysses and Bartender.
- Sublime Text for general text notes and coding. I have heard good things about Visual Studio Code but have not used it as extensively.
These are mostly for business use.
- WP Engine for managed WordPress website hosting. Includes daily backups, 24/7 live chat support, free Genesis themes and more. This site is hosted with them.
- Amazon Web Services for basically everything else. You can host domains, route DNS, easily deploy/scale web apps and more. Google Cloud is a strong competitor.
- ConvertKit for email marketing. Came recommended by to me by a friend who builds a lot of marketing automation for content creators. I have used more commercial-grade products like Ontraport and Zoho Marketing before and ConvertKit is much more user-friendly.
- Dropbox for storage. I love their core product but haven’t really found a use for their Paper or Showcase add-ons.
- Confluence & Jira from Atlassian. Powerhouse applications for business. Confluence is your internal wiki where all your SOPs and more can go. Jira is a highly-customisable issue tracker that can be used for everything from project management to inventory tracking to running agile teams.
- Asana for project management. Great for teams that don’t have their workflow built into a CRM or for non-technical teams that don’t need something as complex as Jira.
- GitHub for git/version control. I really want to like BitBucket, but have found GitHub easier to use.
- GSuite. Best all-in-one office suite + email in my opinion, especially if you have a skilled administrator.
- Slack for team communications, mastermind groups, client groups and more.
I publish new articles a couple of times a week. If you would like to be notified when they’re live, just leave your email below:
- Please see my obligatory FTC Disclosure as well.